|A vegetable bake - a great way to use a glut of zucchinis and eggplants.|
Consumerism spreads us so thin, keeping us so committed to its ideals and grooming our loyalty in return for whatever it pre-determines us our heart's desire should be. Sounds pretty much like a cult to me.
|A couple of my favourite hats|
Here are some hallmarks of a cult - sounds like an exact match against our consumerist society to me:
- Zealous commitment to a leader - (what product is trending lately and leading the market?)
- Questioning is discouraged even punished - (Try fitting in as a fugalista! - Shunning alert!)
- Mind altering repetitive practices - (Serotonin addiction to shopping)
- Dictates how members should think, act, and feel - (1000's of advertising images do the trick)
- Members are elitist - (driving the latest tin god on wheels yet? Is that three year old kitchen updated yet?)
- Reduced societal accountability - (who's approving all these loans and credit cards anyway?)
- Shame, fear or guilt inflicted on non-conformers - (Your life will be meaningless without widget XYZ)
- Most loyalest members cannot imagine or function outside of the cult - (I would rather die than be seen wearing/driving that....cannot live without my dryer...you eat what?)
- Expectation to devote inordinate amounts of time to group activities - (checked out a Westfield car park lately? Could you even find a park?)
- Total financial commitment expected and encouraged - (oh yeah, no explanation needed)
- Laws preventing members from acts of normalcy - (your backyard vegetable garden is illegal in this zip code Mr Jones)
- The altering of facts and withholding of information (product labels.....contract small type.....this will make you look 10 years younger/100 pounds lighter)
|Doughnut dough made from scratch|
|Deep-frying the doughnuts.|
When cooler, glaze with a lemon sugar wash and inject with
jam and creme patissiere.
Consumerism makes the proverbial Moonies pale into insignificance when it comes to cultish hallmarks and behaviours. No doubt about it, consumerism is a dangerous and addictive cult which has the best part of the western world thoroughly duped by its ideologies and totally emotionally invested in its promises. Admittedly, it is plain hard work battling and dodging the western world's biggest and most powerful cult, especially when a certain degree of involvement is required for most of us - tricky.
We need to just walk away from this cult folks and keep hold of those hard-earned coins that we have swapped for irretrievable hours of our precious lives.
|Our salt lamp helping to purify|
our air inside - chemical free.
Take care folks and step away from the Kool-Aid.